Commitment to Privacy
“Personal Information” is any information that can be used to identify you or that we can link to you as an individual and may include:
- full name, date of birth, passport, driving licence or other photographic identity details;
- contact information including postal address, email address and telephone number(s);
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests;
- information pertinent to fulfilling our legal services on an individual’s or organisation’s behalf; and
- information we collect automatically through cookies and similar tracking technologies through our website.
ASW may come into the possession of personal information in order to provide professional services. Your personal information may be used for the following purposes:
- To meet our regulatory, legal and professional obligations, including undertaking appropriate anti-money laundering checks;
- To establish and manage our relationship with you;
- To provide legal advice and services, including e-updates on law and regulation in Bermuda;
- To monitor and manage the performance of our business operations;
- To manage conflicts of interest and maintain our list of contacts;
- To analyze performance, and generate internal reports;
- To assess the effectiveness of our events, promotional campaigns and publications;
- To assess risks including legal and financial risks;
- To invoice and process payments;
- To process applications for employment;
- To monitor visitor traffic to and usage of the ASW website;
- To market our services;
- To engage in business transactions; and
- For any other purposes for which we have your consent.
Limits on Collection, Use, Retention and Disclosure of Personal Information
You are required to advise us of any changes that may impact the services we are providing. From time to time, you may be asked to verify or update your personal information.
Safeguarding Personal Information
ASW protects the personal information in its custody or control by making reasonable security arrangements to prevent unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification or disposal. Confidentiality and security are not assured when information is transmitted through e-mail or other wireless communication. ASW will not be responsible for any loss or damage suffered as a result of a breach of security and/or confidentiality when information is transmitted by e-mail or wireless communication. We will take your use of a particular mode of communication to be implied consent for us to communicate with you using the same mode of communication unless otherwise instructed by you.
Cookies and Our Website
Cookies are small files that are downloaded onto your computer to help improve your browsing experience and enable us to evaluate how people use our website. We currently use a session cookie and a persistent cookie. The session cookie is temporary and stored on your computer only for as long as you visit our website. The persistent cookie is uploaded to your computer only after you check the “Remember Me” box and enables you to store information to more quickly access password protected portions of our website.
Our website may from time to time contain links to third party websites. ASW does not take responsibility for the privacy practices of any third party website. Please ensure you read the policies of any third party website you visit.
ASW has procedures in place to receive and respond to inquiries about our policies and practices relating to the handling of personal information.
You have a right to access your personal information held by ASW. Your information will be provided upon written request and authentication of identity. We may charge a reasonable fee for providing information in response to a privacy access request and will provide an estimate of any such fee upon request.
ASW reserves the right to amend this policy from time to time without prior notice to you. Please check our website periodically at www.aswlaw.com to see if any changes have been made.