Kim Willey joined the firm in October 2011 as corporate counsel.
Kim is recommended as a leading expert in insurance and reinsurance by Who’s Who Legal 2016. She regularly advises clients on all aspects of Bermuda corporate law, including mergers and acquisitions, insurance and reinsurance, Insurance Linked Securities (ILS), funds, captive formation and regulation, and Bermuda Stock Exchange (BSX) listings. Prior to joining ASW, Kim was a senior solicitor in the Vancouver office of the leading Canadian law firm, Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP (now Dentons).
Publications and Presentations
Kim has contributed to numerous publications and presentations relating to commercial and securities law, including:
- “Hamilton Bound: Economic Changes in Canada have Companies Considering Captives in Warmer Climes for their Insurance Coverage”, Captive Insurance Times (July 2016)
- “Bermuda Chapter, Insurance and Reinsurance Regulation, Jurisdictional Comparisons (2014 Edition) co-authored with Rod Attride-Stirling and Neil Horner
- “Consider the Offshore Captive Structure”, Canadian Lawyer’s Weekly (March 2014)
- “Solvency II: equivalence and opportunities”, Bermuda Business Review (2012), co-authored with Neil Horner
Recent Representative Work
- XL Redomestication – ASW was an adviser on XL’s redomestication to change the place of incorporation of its ultimate parent holding company to Bermuda from Ireland, which completed on 25 July 2016.
- XL/Catlin – ASW provided Bermuda law advice to XL Group plc on its US$4,28 billion offer to acquire all of the capital shares of Catlin Group Limited (LSE: CGL) to form a combined business which has a leading presence in the global specialty insurance and reinsurance markets.
- Endurance/Montpelier – ASW provided Bermuda law advice to Endurance Specialty Holdings Ltd. (NYSE:ENH) on its US$1.8 billion offer to acquire all the issued and newly issued common shares of Montpelier Re Holdings Ltd. (NYSE:MRH), a Bermuda exempted company.
- Freescale Semiconductors, Ltd. – ASW provided Bermuda law advice to Freescale Semiconductor, Ltd. (NYSE: FSL) on the Bermuda legal aspects of its merger with NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) to create a combined enterprise with a value of US$40 billion.
- Amlin/Mitsui – ASW provided Bermuda law advice to MS&AD Insurance Group Holdings Limited (TYO: 8725) on the acquisition by its wholly-owned subsidiary, Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company Limited, of all of the issued shares of Amlin plc (LSE:AML) in a US$5.3 billion